The ancient Maya had a strong connection with the cenotes, as they were their source of water and also considered them the entrance to the underworld. These pools of fresh and crystalline water have the largest extension of the Yucatan Peninsula, their depth can vary from 10 to 60 meters, and they exist closed or open. In them, you can do activities such as snorkeling, diving, zip line, diving or simply cool off with its cold waters.
We list some cenotes according to the proximity of the Alea tulum:
- Cenote Manatee. A few steps from the Hotel Alea is this charming cenote. In addition to being dazzled by the beauty of the flora and fauna that the cenote has, how this cenote converges in a lagoon that overlooks the sea you can see the manatees. Do not miss the opportunity to know this wonderful place and take a magnificent memory.
- Cenote Casa Tortuga. A short 10 minutes´drive from Alea Tulum. In this natural complex, you will find 4 different types of cenote, join the small tour in which you will discover their origin and the different existing types. And if after the tour you are hungry, there is a Mexican restaurant.
- Cenote Dos Ojos. only 20 minutes from Alea Tulum, you will find this cenote ideal for diving, the guides will accompany you throughout this tour since ,as a curious fact, its an underwater cave system of approximately 61km long, which makes it one of the largest in the world.
- Cenote Sac Actún. Located 17 km away towards Playa del Carmen, the adventure starts with the trip as you need to cross a small Mayan jungle, where you can admire the flora and fauna of the region, until you reach the 100 miles underwater cave system, considered the largest in the world. Ideal for snorkeling, swimming and diving.
- Cenote El Pit. You will find it 10 miles from the hotel towards Coba ruins. Its main attraction is to see how the rays of the sun illuminate the crystal clear waters of the cenote, reaching the depths, where they cross the layers of halocline and acid clouds, creating spectacular views.
- Gran Cenote just 14 km from the hotel. It is the most famous in the region, you can see in its crystal clear waters a variety of fish and turtles that live there. Snorkel or dive and connect with nature in this stunning eye of water.
- Cenote Calavera: only 15 minutes from the hotel. This semi-open cenote owes its name to the effect of when looking up from inside the cavern, you can see the shape skull through the three holes that form two eyes and a mouth. And when outside of the cenote, the sunrays illuminate the limestone sediments that are in the center, which allows to see a skull reflected by the light of the three holes.
- Cenote Escondido: 16 kilometers from Alea Tulum, you will find this large and deep freshwater pool ideal for swimming and cooling off, diving to see the fish and turtles that inhabit it.
- The Cenote Zacil-Ha, 18 kilometers from the hotel, with a depth of up to 3 meters, you will be amazed by this cenote and its green jade colors and its crystal clear waters, in which you can swim and snorkel or dive through its cavern that connects with the Cenote Calavera.
- Cenote Angelita, located 30 minutes from the hotel in Coba’s direction has crystal clear waters with turquoise tones that are ideal for diving as it has an approximate depth of 60 meters. During the first 30 meters, the water is transparent, but when passing this depth you can appreciate the effect of a river passing under the cenote.
- Cenote Yax Muul. 6 kilometers from Alea Tulum, this cenote offers excellent views and refreshing waters, you can appreciate the stalactites, stalagmites, and columns within the cavern. Here you can do different activities such as driving an all-terrain vehicle to explore the jungle.